Welcome to Native ChocTalk
S2, E17: “Terry Ware (Kiowa & Comanche) On The History of Riverside Indian School, Wares Chapel, O Ho Mah, Hog Creek & Our Love of Sonic Drinks”
Native ChocTalk Presents: “Terry Ware (Kiowa & Comanche) On The History of Riverside Indian School, Wares Chapel, O Ho Mah, Hog Creek & Our Love of Sonic Drinks”
Listen to the episode here: https://tinyurl.com/bde93y64
I stopped by Riverside Indian School in my hometown, Anadarko, Oklahoma last summer to hang out with my friend, Terry Ware and I can’t help but share our conversation with you. You’ll hear:
• Terry singing a Kiowa hymn and the happy birthday song in Kiowa (love this!)
• About Riverside Indian School’s upcoming 150-year celebration in May of 2022!
• The history of Riverside including about the feral hogs that used to come around (until a fence was put up)
• How Terry is a coach at Riverside, but before that, he was my dad’s student there at the school
• How he’s a legacy student at Riverside, as his grandmother, mom, daughter and grandson attended
• About his family’s church - Wares Chapel - in Hog Creek where we grew up, and where my sister got married. And about the Chapel’s inception in the 1800s and gathering of and transporting stones from Chickasha to Hog Creek.
• About the Kiowa tail bustle and the history from the Omaha tribe in Nebraska to the Cheyenne to the Kiowa
• What his research on the Carlisle Indian School Journals uncovered
• Why the O Ho Mah hid their drums and pipes in the caves in Ridge Stone, west of Hog Creek
• His love of singing and drumming in the O Ho Mah Lodge Singers group
• His ancestors’ names, such as “The Day the Sun Died” because his great great grandmother was born during the eclipse
• About the Fort Sill vs Riverside rivalry (know what I’m talkin’ about, Braves?) 😉
• That “Indian perfume”, which comes out with the full moon in June, is what I should include with my eagle feathers to decrease the strong smell
• Jerry’s Fruit Stand in Hog Creek
• About those pesky poisonous bull nettles in Oklahoma pastures such as in front of my home
• And – we discuss the serious topic of our mutual adoration of Sonic drinks
Yakoke, Terry for your time and for sharing so much with me and my listeners. Blessings to you!
All Podcast Episodes: https://nativechoctalk.com/podcasts/
Native ChocTalk Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/nativechoctalkpodcast